Tuesday, August 5, 2008

It sounds funny...

... but all you really need to win some people over is a smile. And it helps to lighten your mood as well.

I know, I know. I can hear it now.

"When did this become the Michael Landon hour?"

No, I haven't bought any of those stupid new age books Oprah pimps all the time, I'm just giving you hard sceintific FACT. I read long ago in some science journal or another that during the physical act of smiling the face muscles used trigger a chemical reaction in the brain that actually makes you feel happier.

"if this is supposed to be presented as scientific fact, where's the exact sources?"

Well, if I was writing actual scientific journals I wouldn't be posting a blog about bartending (or would I? This is a science. Oh, chock it up to laziness today)

Anyway, this is an important 'Occult' tool to remember and use when some swine has shat upon your day. It can be difficult, but that smiling does actually work.*

The other side to this is a lot of those folks who will try to fuck up your day are looking for a confrontation or your defeat. If you smile right back they get neither, and this will often drive a high percentage of these folks completely insane. They will escalate their attack, but hang onto those happy guns and eventually you will ruin their day, causing their attack to deflate and they to exit frustrated, angrier and defeated. OF course this won't bode well for any spouse or children at home, if that is where they go, but many of them won't have that anyway, hence their need to strike out into the working class to carry out their assault. And if you know for a fact they are married, and just happen to know where it is they reside, well, call the cops from a nearby pay phone and claim to be a neighbor reporting a possible domestic. They might not catch them in the act, but the asshole will now feel Karma is clenching a shriveled finger around their lives and sink further into unhappiness.

All from a smile. Who knew, right?

* And even if its mind over matter, it still works so who cares???

2 comments:

Missi Schmid said...

That's a good tip--but when I really need to turn my mood around--it's music that I turn to.

"Music--the most ungodly vice of 'em all....~Mike Ness

Music is infectious--you can get high on music....

Big In Day-town said...

Oddly enough, you are correct. I was a crabby bitch yesterday and D just laughed and smiled at me. It made me realize I was being psychotic pretty quickly.